KXSF Sports Director Sam Pasco is one of 35 credentialed media members covering the Giants 2020 Summer Camp Training at Oracle Park
Arriving @ Oracle Park
- There are no season-long credentialed given out, each media member must apply 24 hours in advance for a daily credential in order to enter Oracle Park.
- Before receiving a credential, you must sign a “2020 Season Release of Liability” Wavier and have your temperature checked.
- After picking up your credential, you are required to fill out an “Oracle Park Health Screening” mandatory questionnaire.
Into the Press Box
- There is a one-way entry in and out of the Box.
- Once in the press box, there are indoor and outdoor options.
- No printed media notes are given out.
New ‘pen, who dis?
- It was the perfect weather for baseball and what better way to enjoy it than by checking out the brand new Oracle Park Bullpens!
- Players primarily used the field as a walkway between workout stations.
- Players were broken up in 3 groups of 20 (10 pitchers, 10 hitters)
- Interesting Note:
- Which ‘pen will the Giants claim as their home bullpen come Opening Day? LF’s are closer to their home dugout, but during day games (around 12:00 pm) the relievers’ chairs are firmly in the sun, while RF’s are entirely in the shade.
Here Comes The Zoom
1:00 p.m. – Jeff Samardzija
1:30 p.m. – Brandon Crawford
4:00 p.m. Manager Gabe Kapler
- Walking the halls of Oracle, it was definitely unusual to see no fans at all. It was like Oracle had gone dark, like a Ghost Town.
- As a member of the media though, it wasn’t entirely shocking as we’re used to arriving hours before first pitch when the park is mostly empty.
- Another unusual aspect is the proximity to players. As Tier 3 members, we’re not allowed to enter the playing surface or clubhouses. All interviews are done via Zoom and identifying who’s doing what is made difficult.
- Players aren’t wearing their jerseys and you’re 100 feet back 30 feet up – every player looks tiny while it’s almost impossible to tell who is who!
Complete Twitter Thread
Follow us on Instagram! @KXSFsports