Join Sam as he covers the SF Giants Summer Camp Training LIVE from Oracle Park. Each day’s post updates live in real-time and is meant to be something between a tweet and an article – the brevity and timeliness of a tweet combined with the analysis and organization of a blog post.
Oracle Park Playlist
- Top 5 Songs from today’s Oracle Park Summer Camp
- Solitaires – Future Feat. Travis Scott
- Faith – The Weeknd
- Heartless – Diplo Feat. Morgan Wallen
- High Ground – Martin Garrix Feat. John Martin
- Cool Anymore – Jordan Davis Feat. Julia Michaels
- Other Notables: Life Is Good – Future Feat. Drake; Inconic – Jaxson Gamble
- Yesterday the Giants suspended Summer Camp due to delays in COVID-19 testing results – delays that other clubs across the league were also experiencing (Nationals, Astros, A’s). Manager Gabe Kapler spoke to the media in an “emergency press conference” over Zoom at 12:30 pm and expressed that they would treat the canceled day as an off day and planed on resuming action today.
- From the SF Giants private media-only Twitter account:
- “The Giants received their test results from July 4th and all are negative among players and staff. Workouts at Oracle Park will resume today. Media availability today, July 8, will be from 2-5pm with the (credential) window opening at 1:30pm”
Meme of the Day
- More applicable this time yesterday, but still an accurate representation of Giants Fans emotions when the announcement came out:
MLB Schedule Release
- The official MLB schedule was released and the Giants will begin the season on July 23rd in LA against the Dodgers. Their first home game will be July 28th against the San Diego Padres; they will play the Padres for a 3 game set and then play the Texas Rangers for another 3 games before they head off again for a 10 game road trip.
Best Headline I Saw Today
Live BP Updates
- It’s finally happening! Follow along live below:
- Drew Smyly is next on the bump
- Gausman looking dominant again in his second inning of work: 2 IP, 4 K, 0 H, 7 batters faced (unofficial)
- Pence battling against Smyly; Smyly looked good against his final 2 batters
- Webb looking strong on the bump: 1 IP, 1 H, 2 K (3 batters faced)
- Next on the mound for the Giants is newly acquired Tyler Anderson. Anderson is one of the most fun guys to watch pitch because of his unique leg kick delivery. Anderson is extreme off-speed pitcher: he has thrown off-speed pitches 54.4% of the time (1,785/3,281) since the start of 2018 — 13th highest in MLB among starting pitchers with at least 161 total NonFB (League Avg: 42.8%)
- Logan Webb is in a position to potentially be the number 3 guy this season behind Cueto and Samardzija. He looked strong today, striking out Pence and getting a double play.
- First Pitch Best Pitch – Webb will continue to need to improve his first pitch in at-bats: Logan Webb had a first-pitch strike rate of just 57.0% (61/107) over the last 30 days of the regular season (5 games) — 10th lowest among qualified SPs in MLB (League Avg: 62.5%)
- Trevor Gott is next on the mound. He’s a relief pitcher with a fastball that sits 95 (can touch 97) with extreme run and a 12/6 curveball at 80-82 mph. He also throws a changeup that fades and sits around 89 mph.
- His delivery to the plate is approx league average: 1.69 seconds (1.66 MLB avg)