Join Sam as he covers the SF Giants Summer Camp Training LIVE from Oracle Park. Each day’s post updates live in real-time and is meant to be something between a tweet and an article – the brevity and timeliness of a tweet combined with the analysis and organization of a blog post.
Oracle Park Playlist
- First song play when I arrived: The Man – Taylor Swift
- Top 3 Songs:
- 1) You should be sad – Halsey
- 2) La Di Da – Lennon Stella
- 3) Light On – Maggie Rogers
- The Oracle Park Scoreboard basically operates like a giant computer desktop – and thus anything you can do on your computer you could also hypothetically broadcast onto the screen.
- Today the music video for El Dia de tu Suerte was on display on the scoreboard, take a look:
Giants 2021 Schedule Release
- The Giants announced their official 2021 regular-season schedule. San Francisco will open the year with a three-game series in Seattle against the Mariners – the first time they’ll start at an interleague ballpark in franchise history and the 12th consecutive year they’ll open on the road.
Live BP Scrimmage notes
- General Notes:
- It’s a very casual and relaxed atmosphere during these scrimmages – players sitting in chairs on the field, music playing throughout the game, and the occasional player batting out of order. The games and at-bats are extremely fast-paced though; players are swinging and there’s rarely a stoppage in action.
- 1st Inning
- Luis Toribio with a well-hit single to right field of Dereck Rodriguez. Toribio was not on the initial Giants Summer Camp Roster but was added on July 4th. He’s just 19 years old and took 3 at-bats (1 strikeout) in regular Spring Training.
- 2nd Inning
- Yaz and Pablo switched spots in the batting order, but it didn’t seem to matter as both made outs. Darin Ruf had an excellent double off Rodriguez, the only baserunner of the inning.
- 6th inning
- Sam Selman pitching; Ramos, Dubon, Ruf, and Wilson batting
- There’s a debate in the press box among who should be the player of the game (and subsequently be requested for Zoom questions). Ruf just hit his 2nd double of the game which just might secure his spot.
- 7th Inning
- Carlos Nevas (also pitched in the 5th) vs Flores, Dickerson, Brantly, Toribio, Luciano
- An error by Dubon at short allows Dickerson to reach first, Brantly walks.
- 8th inning
- Giants Rule 5 Draft Pick Dany Jimenez allows a broken-bat single to Catcher Tyler Heineman which scores Pablo from 3rd. Heineman is then caught stealing second, but since it’s a scrimmage, returns to first base.
- 9th Inning
- Dubon, Ruf, Brantly, Ramos, and Wilson face non-roster invitee Camilo Doval to finish the scrimmage.
- Doval’s first pitch is in the dirt and clearly a ball, Dubon is walked on a 3-2 count. Ruf grounds out, Dubon advances to 3rd in the process.
- Darin Ruf wins player of the game, will speak to the media before Manager Gabe Kapler
Post Scrimmage Media Zoom Call
- OF/INF Darin Ruf Quotes
- “It’s weird to have two groups, I haven’t seen some guys I’m going to be playing with this year…I’m extremely happy to be out there…get that competitiveness going even though it’s against each other” – Ruf on playing on the playing atmosphere in Summer Camp @ Oracle Park
- “My claim to fame here is hitting a double and triple against (Madison Bumgarner) in Triples Alley…I didn’t realize triples were cool.”
- “I was excited. If we had the DH earlier in my career, I might have been able to carve out that role.” -Darin Ruf on the addition of the DH this year
- Ruf should greatly benefit from the DH in the National League this year. He mentioned he looks forward to other players on the 14 other NL clubs to getting a chance he wishes he had earlier in his career.
- Ruf opted not to share which Japanese baseball team had an interest in him earlier this year. While Ruf acknowledged he’s probably towards the end of his career, look for him to potentially go back overseas at some point even as an older player in a 1B/DH role. Ruf hit .313 with 86 home runs across 3 seasons with the Samsung Lions in the Korean Baseball Organization.
- Team comradery will be an interesting theme to watch with this Giants team – Ruf mentioned how it’s unusual how he hasn’t seen some of his teammates due to the two group format.